Friday, March 10, 2017

Dance Monkey Dance

Today was all about presenting my project to the Steering Committee.  The committee is made up of my project sponsor and all the upper management that has a connection to the success of my project.  When I have to present, I call it Dance Monkey Dance Day.

If you've ever seen the Zoolander movie, there's a scene where Derek Zoolander was dressed as a monkey during a photo shoot.  The photographer was screaming at him "Dance Monkey, Dance" and I've always remembered that line.

After being gone for a month, it was important for me to catch up to where the project was and fill out all of the monthly reports.  The really cool thing is that I have an awesome team and they know their stuff.  Most of the time, my job is to run interference so that they can do their job in peace and make sure no obstacles are in their way.  Yes, I do have to be concerned with budget, scope and schedule...but for the most part, my team makes my job fun.

But presenting to the higher-ups is always a challenge, but I've found the trick is to be short, sweet and to the point.  Cut all the filler crap.  If there's something wrong, get down to it and fast.  They don't have time for froufrou stuff and their days are filled with meetings.  I try to make sure mine is the meeting they enjoy because they've allowed for the 1/2 hour, but we're out in 10 minutes, giving them a 20 minute break in between meetings.

But I still get keyed up about it. I still dress in my monkey outfit and put on all the makeup. Ah well...truth be told...I kinda like the nervous energy that these meetings give me.  Kinda like the rollercoaster feeling without the coaster.

I think this is why I enjoy Project Management.  It's always different, it's always a challenge, your butt is always on the line, because the success or the failure of the project always points to you.  I'm a glutton for punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment